Saturday, July 2, 2011

First pediatrician appointment

   Cupcake is 9 weeks old!
   Weight: 9 lbs 14 oz (46 percentile)
   Height: 21 3/4 inches (49 percentile)

Seriously, how cute is this? 

Love this outfit, but sadly it's been retired. It's really hard to get her head in it!
     We went to the pediatrician for the first time on Thursday! We had gotten a pediatrician referral list from the birth center, but it took us awhile to look over it and pick someone. After narrowing it down to 3 or 4, we looked at websites, locations and initials (I wanted to go through a naturopath, but I think Chris felt more comfortable with an M.D.). After discussing over a few days, we finally decided on Dr. Paul Thomas at Integrative Pediatrics (or rather, I decided and Chris didn't have any objections). The clinic is fairly close to us (hwy 217 and hwy 26, right down the street from St. Vincent's) and the doctor is a doctor (though he approves of alternative vaccine schedules and using natural/organic/holistic when possible and medications only when necessary). I really liked the website, it was very informative and Dr. Thomas has accomplished a lot in his career (http://www.drpaul.md/bios.html#paul).

     After filling out paperwork, we were taken back to get CC's height and weight and speak with the Nurse Practitioner.  She was very nice and answered any questions we had. She examined baby and commented on how strong she is (she said she has very good head control and neck strength and could blow 4-monthers out of the water!). She went over a little vaccine information with us (we were still on the fence about whether we wanted to vaccinate or not and I had some questions regarding a few of the recommended shots). She gave us a few minutes to talk about it and said that we could have one, none or all of them that day. I didn't feel pressure from her at all (or the first nurse we saw) and it was really appreciated. I'm not totally against vaccines, I think some of them are really good and helpful, but I'm not convinced that the current recommended vaccine schedule is the way to go (getting 3-5 vaccines in one visit, a few of those already being multiple vaccines, so it ends up being 3-7 things at one visit. That just seems like a lot for anyone's body to deal with, especially a two-month old. Plus, the jury is still out on how the aluminum in vaccines can cause reactions/harm, so getting more than one vaccine containing aluminum in one visit can be risky depending on who you ask). Chris and I have already agreed and declined on some vaccines (hep B at birth, for example), so we knew we'd have to keep researching the other vaccines that babies are "supposed to have". In Oregon, you're allowed to claim religious exemption for any or all of the vaccines when your child enters daycares or schools. I'm not typically someone who does something just because "that's how it's done"; I like to research and see what my options are and what I think is best for me or my family. I get some arguments from some people about it sometimes, but ultimately it comes down to what Chris or I want/think/feel is important. Anyway, we ended up getting CC the Hib and Pc vaccines and let me just tell you, the cry that came out of her little body was terrible (as I'm sure any parent knows). I can listen to babies cry and know that they're fine, but my body had a totally different reaction to my own baby. About 5 seconds after the first injection (and making a light comment about how "that's a new one we haven't heard" in regards to her cry), I couldn't help crying. I knew she was fine, but I had no control over it. She received the second shot and then the nurse told Chris he could pick her up (he was holding her hands as she lay on the exam table). I went over to them and had to restrain myself from ripping her from his arms. I was finally able to say to him, "I'll take her" (it's hard to talk when you're trying to hold back from bawling and collapsing on the ground). He handed her to me and she calmed down a little, but kept crying, so we had a little cry fest together. Sheesh. No one said it was going to be that hard! ;) Next time, I'm definitely going to tell the nurse that I want to hold/nurse her when she's getting the shots (or hold and try to nurse right after the shots, though I don't think Cupcake will go for that. She was pretty focused on the crying the first time). And maybe they'll have some earplugs and blinders for me so my heart doesn't explode into a million pieces again. Ugh.


Taking a nap with daddy on the couch
     We're officially out of newborn size diapers and CC's wearing size 1! It doesn't seem like she's grown very much (but she obviously is), but the 1's are working well (no more  blow-outs... for now, anyway). I think we're going to officially retire her newborn onesies in the next week or two as well. There's one outfit (pictured above) that definitely does not fit over her head anymore. We've been experimenting with the size 0-3 month clothes this last week.

Nap time for everyone (Pogo loves being around her! I can tell they're going to be very good friends as she grows up)

No comments:

Post a Comment