Wednesday, December 8, 2010

18 weeks (4 1/2 months)!---size of a sweet potato

Baby's now the size of a sweet potato!
Baby's become amazingly mobile (compared to you, at least), passing the hours yawning, hiccupping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking, and swallowing. And baby is finally big enough that you'll soon be able to feel her movements. (from thebump.com
5.6 inches in length (head to bottom, not including legs) and weighs 6.7 ounces!

   Turns out that I've been feeling the little cupcake move for a few weeks now, I just wasn't sure that's what it was. But now that it's happening a little more frequently and at different times during the day, I know it's baby dancing around in there! Definitely a relief to have a sign that it's still movin' and groovin' since I don't have the doppler to do sneak attack listening sessions.

   Our ultrasound is in two weeks! Really excited to find out the sex and make sure everything is going well and growing as it should be. Not sure how many people are following the blog, but to those who do, a special little tidbit: my two name choices! For a girl, I love the name Ayla (I've had it picked out for years!). Like Kayla, but without the 'K'. There's really not another option. If it's a girl, it's for sure Ayla. For a boy, I'm partial to Bruin (like brewin' a cup of coffee). I really like the name Avery for either a boy or girl, but I fear it will start to become more popular (there's a newer character on Grey's Anatomy named Jackson Avery, but he goes by Avery). I also really like Harper and Marlow. Chris hasn't had any real dislike of any of the names which is really nice. I pretty much told him that I get final say anyway since I have to carry it for 9 months and then go through labor... :) He's not fighting me on that logic.

    I opted out of getting the flu shot this season. I've never had the flu shot and don't really feel compelled to get one strictly because I'm pregnant. There isn't solid convincing proof that the shot really helps or hinders anything and my midwife left the option up to me.

   Still have yet to gain any weight. I have a prenatal appointment tomorrow with my 2nd midwife (I have two assigned to me in case one can't make  it to my labor. Smart thinking if you ask me!) and I have a feeling she's going to not be stoked to hear that. She's the one that told me that I should plan on gaining 30, if not 40 pounds. 40 pounds?! Are you kidding me? I'm barely 5'1" and weighing around 170 seems really unhealthy, regardless of whether I'm carrying a baby or not. I have more the thought of 25-30 pounds. I'll have to ask my first midwife and see what her opinion is.

   Am finally over the "morning" sickness! I tried a night off from half a Unisom pill and felt fine yesterday. Skipped it last night as well and felt fine today (though, I woke up at 5 this morning not feeling well. Couldn't tell if it was an empty stomach, nausea or heartburn, but just was not feeling good at all. Had two little teeny tiny bites of toast, a few sips of water, and went out to the living room to try and sleep in the glider--which, if you haven't heard, I absolutely LOVE! Thanks Peggy! Fell asleep for a little and the toast didn't come back up, so I went back to the bedroom around 6:30 when Chris took the dogs out). Have felt fine the rest of the day! HOORAY!!!

    Went to the gym twice last week. TWICE! That's two more times than I went probably all of last month, ha ha. Went again the other morning and hoping to go again Friday after work. Gotta stay active and strong for baby! Hoping to start making it back to yoga once a week in addition to two gym sessions, plus dog walks (we've gotten a few in the last week or so since I'm feeling a little more energy). Don't worry, I'm not pushing it or doing the same workout from before I became pregnant. Just a little light cardio and some weight machines here and there. 

    Starting to think about a baby shower. One of my best friends offered to throw one for me (she also did my bachelorette party), so we'll have to start organizing and get to planning.



In keeping with the same view as the first picture... the headless side-shot ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just found this blog today, and will have to keep up on it. All of your names are GREAT! Also, they all have an R in the name except for Ayla, kinda interesting . . .

    I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I love your names!! I'm sure Zach would vote for Harper for a boy :-p.
    2) i love it that he or she has dance parties!! Spunky just like the mama/papa. Hopefully he/she dances more like you than papa though...
    3) I got a flu shot the year I lived in Dixon since I was living with so many people and their germs. I still got the flu that year, and I got it worse than ever, and haven't even had a fever since then once...without getting the flu shot again. I know there were lots of complicating factors, but I'm SO not sold on the flu shot.
    4) I bet your midwife wants you to gain 40 pounds on the assumption that you weigh less than you do...I'm not saying this to be flattering, but if I did the math correctly, you weigh the same as me...you've always been pretty muscular so I guess it makes sense, but you've always looked at least 15-20 pounds lighter than me, in my opinion, especially considering you're a good 3 inches shorter!!
    5) Good seeing you the other night!! Sounds like things are going great!!

    ReplyDelete