Wednesday, December 22, 2010

20 weeks (5 months)!---size of a cantaloupe!

    A canteloupe, people! It's getting serious now... the size of a small melon. Sheesh. Baby is about 6.5 inches and weighs about 10.6 ounces (still under a pound. 16 ounces=1 pound, in case you didn't know).

    Tomorrow's the big day! Well, not the BIG day, but the halfway point and the first time Chris and I will be able to see baby on ultrasound and hopefully find out the sex (babies can be uncooperative sometimes).

    By the looks of my stomach, the cupcake is growing just fine. I was worried that I wasn't getting enough calories, but I guess I don't have to worry about it too much. I'm not feeling super tired or anything (definitely more energetic than during the first trimester), don't have any swelling in my ankles or feet, no more nausea, no huge mood swings (that I'm aware of, anyway...). I have moments of dizziness or tiredness from time to time, but gotta say that it's been a pretty good pregnancy so far! My belly button is sloooowly making it's way out and I'm trying to decide if I want to take my belly button piercing out for good or just put a retainer in until after the birth. It's not causing any discomfort right now, so I think I have at least a few weeks to decide.

    To be honest, I was a little nervous about this month (December) because exactly a year ago I had a miscarriage. I was only about 4-6 weeks along, really early and probably shouldn't have even known I was pregnant (I only told a few really close friends that I was pregnant, just in case anything happened. It made it easier to only have to tell a few people about the loss and not have everyone asking me how I was feeling). It was sad and hard to deal with for a couple days, but Chris and I both realized that it wasn't the right time (and my body must have had the heads up on something). We decided to take 2010 to ourselves and maybe try to get pregnant in 2011. We really enjoyed the beginning and middle of the year, went camping, took mini road trips, spent nights on the town, talked about getting married, got engaged "officially", traveled to Las Vegas... then our little cupcake decided that it wanted to come a few months early, which was fine with us. We weren't trying to get pregnant, but we also weren't NOT trying, if that makes sense. I think we were both at a point where we figured that we'd been together for about 4 years and if it happened, it happened. I had a feeling something might be up when I was a little dizzy at yoga that week and then not feeling so well the weekend we went to the cabin. Low and behold, tiny pink plus sign! Neither of us were surprised, pretty excited actually (if not cautiously. I didn't want to tell a ton of people until I was past the 3-month mark).

   So here we are! Halfway through and going to get bigger by the week. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment