Tuesday, April 19, 2011

37 weeks... full-term and size of a watermelon!

   We've hit the "full-term" point! At 37 weeks, pregnant women and their babies are considered to be full-term, meaning that if the baby is born at any point during or after this week, the babies are able to survive just fine!

    37 weeks also means the little Cupcake is about the size of a watermelon! Most babies measure around 18.9-20.9 inches in length and weigh anywhere between 6.2 and 9.2 pounds. My midwives still think she's on the smaller to medium size side, so she's maybe around 6 or 7 pounds. Despite how big I look (it's not my fault I have a short torso!), neither of my midwives think she's going to be a huge baby, which is good to  know (especially since I've had more than a few people ask if I'm having twins).

     Everything is packed and ready to go for the water birth center (except for a handful of things that I use daily, but those can easily be grabbed and thrown into the suitcase)! I still haven't gotten to the point of being "done" (aka sick and tired of being pregnant), but I am excited to finally meet her and see her little face! I still don't think it's completely hit me that I get a little baby of my own (well, she's not ALL mine... I guess I have to share her with Chris).

     I did start to notice a slight bit of swelling around Friday last week. Not too much, but when I went to put my socks on one morning before work, I noticed my ankles looking different. I picked up some cheap Croc-like slip on shoes to wear around in case the swelling increases and to keep compression off my feet (I usually wear cross-trainer style sneakers/gym shoes). So far, the swelling hasn't increased and when I'm home, I try to keep them elevated. Still walking around at work and doing an occasional dog walk here and there with Chris just to keep blood from pooling, but taking it easy.

    We went and picked up an Arm and Hammer Diaper Pail last week, so the baby's room is pretty much complete! It's even got a dirty diaper in there already, courtesy of Icen :)

    And the best thing about last week? Chris created a home-made Moby type wrap! It's even got a little cupcake patch on it! I tried it on and I think it's going to work really well (I tried to use Java, our smaller cat, as a model, but he wasn't super cooperative about it). I should have thrown it on today and put Icen in it just to get a picture. Oh well, maybe next week (he wouldn't have fit in it so well anyway with Ayla taking up all the belly room) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment